PR Trends for 2020 (and probably beyond)
Like almost everything, PR has changed and evolved over the years. For many decades print was the leading medium for most publicists to get clients published in, despite its limitations. In 2020 we now have influencers, bloggers, and a never ending list of online publications, and the top targeted — and coveted outlets such as top tier print and broadcast outlets. As we head into the New Year, we want to pass on the top five PR trends to look for as you create your marketing strategy for a kick ass year of performance.
- Trends are always of interest to media and your consumer/client. Identify trends in your industry by researching new products, ideas, and identify where your product or company falls in the marketplace. If you have the resources, look for sales numbers and study the growth in your industry. Identify where your company or product plays in the space and reach out to press about it. Trends are a great way to position how your business is relevant and why editors and bloggers should know about your business. For instance, if you are a cloud-based service product, watch for news coming out on cloud-based businesses and identify editors who are following the space. Keep a list of these editors handy for when you have news or want to talk with them about how your company is positioned to be a leader in the space.
- Tradeshow media events are a great way to get in front of media without breaking the bank by purchasing costly exhibit space. Look for tradeshows like CES to showcase your products or make an announcement at press shows attached to CES such as Pepcom’s Digital Experience. These events have been around for a long time and produce serious press attendees. They also host additional press events throughout the year, but the CES show is one of the largest and most notable for getting in front of top tier press without paying for real estate on the show floor.
- Influencers work and you will be regretful if you don’t budget for at least quarterly influencer campaigns. The same way PR helps shape public opinion, influencers offer their audience information on why they would like to work with your company. To see if your Influencer campaign is really working you can track the results easily by using UTM codes. Social media really should go hand and hand with your PR campaign to produce the best results. Therefore, working with a company who can successfully do both is a smart way to keep your message and audience outreach on brand and consistent.
- Value Brand Messaging is necessary. We’ve been approached by countless businesses that can’t easily articulate what they do best. It seems simple but many companies skip this vital step and create a value proposition that is misrepresenting. We suggest clients test their key messaging and then work with a writer to create the brand focus and from there, build out the brand messaging. Brand Messaging should include what the company or product does and, more importantly, why does it matter. Brand messaging is a vital part of the PR approach, and should not be overlooked. If you don’t have the resources to do it, work with an agency that can. Spending the time and money on having the right messaging will pay off tenfold in the long run.
- Use A Data Backed Approach to telling your why. Insights help you understand your market by identifying the trends we talked about at the beginning. Press want to know why you created or work for the company you do and they appreciate if you can help shape how this will impact the economy or consumer trends in the future.
These trends for 2020 aren’t revolutionary, but they are influential practices we use day in and day out. Hopefully these tools help your PR program gain more success this coming year. If you’re already using these approaches in your PR strategy, great job. If you are looking for additional insight on how to utilize different techniques, reach out and we can help.
5 Reasons Now is the Time to Implement a Thought Leadership Program
Here we are in 2020 and you’re still on the fence about when you’ll get…
5 Ways To Quickly Gain New Social Media Followers For Your Brand
#1 - Take Advantage of Influencer Marketing Brands formerly partnered with celebrities to promote product…
How to Build Strong One-to-One Media Relationships
Do you have media relationships in a specific geographical area or perhaps in a particular…
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?
You've seen what we are about. Interested in hearing more how we can work together to grow your business or brand? Fill out this form and let us know more about you and we will jump on a call or email for next steps! Yes, it's that easy.